Monday 28 January 2008

Should I Leave Sam in Playschool?

Very troubled, about leaving Sam in playschool.

Had signed him up for The Children's House, a Montessori toddler's program in Jln Ampang Hilir, cos thought it's time for him to start learning to interact with children of his own age. And of course, had wanted to have some time to myself. 3 hrs each weekday morning may not be much, but would have relieved me a lot.

He had started 2 weeks ago, on 16 Jan, a Wednesday. Cried for nearly the entire 1.5 hrs he was there every day. Refused to eat or drink anything there too. His naps became only 30 min long, his appetite for the rest of the day dropped.

I didn't manage to get him to a normal sleeping schedule over the weekend. And he fell sick on Sunday night, fever didn't subside till Friday past. So he literally missed the whole of his 2nd week of school.

Today he clinged on to me the moment we stepped into the classroom. I'm surprised he still remembers the place after 1 whole week of absence, considering he only went there 3 times.

This time, I stayed with him for 1.5 hrs. 1st hr he never left my lap. After getting him to eat half a biscuit & his yogurt drink for snack at 10am, he started to relax, and was willing to play next to me.

Then the directress of the toddler class came in, and we chatted. Basically she was trying to assure me it's better to just leave Sam in the class instead of staying for so long.

Problem is, the moment Sam saw her, he remembered she was the one who 'took him away' the last time, and started to cling on to me again, and cried throughout the entire conversation.

In the end, I left him for a 5 min toilet break, with him crying the whole time. We left school then.

Now, I'm still undecided as to what to do tomorrow.

Should I just leave him for an hour & a half, as recommended? But next week we'll be going back to Singapore for 2 weeks CNY holiday, I really don't think this hard method makes sense with such a long break.

On the other hand, is really a bit silly, me staying in the class for so long. I felt like a new auntie in the class, didn't know what to do when another child approaches me with a toy.

Sigh!!!!!! Heartache.........

6 comments:

  1. Actually I thought at this age, the parent will keep the child company throughout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, half day child care available from 18 months.
    But as you say, he still young.
    Hence my reluctance to let him cry it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis.. when u had make up ur mind to put him into the childcare, u have to harden ur heart and "dump" him there and walk off...

    If not.. it is goin to be very difficult. Of coz after leaving him there, u can hide somewhere and peep at him, BUT without letting him to see u if u feel uncertain how he will be treated by the teachers with all his crying.

    If u wanna to accompany him for so long, u might as well enroll him into those classes whereby u can play and sing with him and be bonded, rite?

    I kn its easy to say but hard to leave him there cryin etc.. but no choice de since u wanna him to go to school..

    I kn how u feel lor coz im a mother too.. but mus harden ur heart n Sam will get used to it in a week or 2. Jai You!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st 3 days of school I did that, left him there for 1.5 hrs each day, he didn't eat then. Went home, appetite also drop, sleep affected, hence I'm worried.

    If he only cry in school, I also can harden my heart. but can't bear to see his appetite decrease leh.......

    This week I'm giving in, cos this Sat go back S'pore liao, thought no point in making him miserable when there's going to be a 2 week break from school.

    Problem: today saw another toddler, 4th week in school already, his mother left him & just went, as recommended, he still crying nearly the whole day, stuck to 1 teacher so closely she couldn't go toilet. Now very worried Sam will be like that.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coz is totally not used to the place there, tht is why there will be a changes of his mood, eating appetite etc..but if this goes on for like a month, will be indeed worrying!!

    Ya, go easy on him this week as u will be goin home his Sat liao.. no point coz u need to be consistant..

    Waa, the kid went there for 4 weeks liao still like tht ah? Either he needed a longer period of time to get used to it, or.. he is not prepared at all. The mum should wait till when he is abit older dan try again.

    Coz some children are really not up to the age to be left alone jus yet... but dun be surprise tht mabe jus after 3 to 6 months when u put him in again, he wont cry at all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. aft 3 days he still wanna sit on my lap when in the classroom!!

    hopefully in the new year he'll be better..... ha! who am I kidding????

    just hoping he'll be willing to eat there. hopefully tomorrow I've enough energy to sit with him till lunchtime. today I was tired, brought him home aft the 'music session'.

    ReplyDelete