Thursday 6 December 2007

Birthday Thoughts

So, my 31st birthday has passed me by for 3 days already............such a quiet event this year. I was in no mood to celebrate, trying to get Sam to sleep. Besides, which woman would want to celebrate being > 30 yrs old?

But am very glad hubby tabao dinner back that day, saved me the effort of thinking what to cook & the chore of cleaning up. And he thoughtfully bought me a birthday cake (though why 5 candles, he couldn't explain), which we're still trying to finish up in the fridge. And of course with my new hp as birthday present bought last month, I can't complain much more, can I? ;)

And it was absolutely heartwarming to receive the phone call from friend LN, she's always a thoughtful one to make the effort for the long distance call. I tend to keep to myself when left on my own, but chatting with her always bring back the 'kick' in me, reminding me the joy of interacting with others.

And the thoughtful emails from close friends, who make the effort to remember the day. I feel so guilty about not remembering their birthdates correctly! Haven't even updated my email address book properly since I stopped working, had been so slack...............

Most surprised by Facebook, really makes keeping in touch with friends so much easier & fun! Though it's quite impossible to keep up with all the numerous applications available (it always makes me wish I'm still single without a troublesome toddler), it's really an interesting way to interact with people you care about.
For one thing, I've received 3 virtual b-day cakes that I can indulge in without worrying about putting on weight! ;) Wonderful invention!!!

Talking abt cakes, I'm now regretting didn't tabao the birthday cake for LZ & me when we met up last month: I should have eaten more of the red bean/green tea combi then!!!! Oh, it feels like such a long time ago since we 4 gals have met up to celebrate a birthday!

像当年, when we were only schooling gals, we could have held 4 birthday celebrations each year; now, with us in different countries, & hubbies & babies to drag along, it's becoming a challenge to have all 4 meet up at the same time.........kinda makes one wish there're more weekends in a year, huh????

Feeling so old now.......................

4 comments:

  1. Actually what's wrong with being in the 30s? I am going on 31+++ soon and I still look forward to my bday! :)

    Put it this way, bdays are an opportunity or reminder for busy mums, career women, to remember that there exists a circle outside the usual circle of ppl that one interact on a day to day basis. Without bdays, I think more frens would be gradually "lost" over the years.

    Hmm..why 5 candles? Maybe cos you dont look a day older than 25?

    Happy Belated Bday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis... at least u are improving already!!

    U had started facebook, as for a start, and now, u had actually started bloging!! Yah!!

    I enjoy ur blog very much... so dun stop!!

    Let the 2 of us jus endure for these 2 yrs... once the both of us are back in Spore... BINGO! haha

    We shall be back to our "normal"!

    A fashionable working mum, can meet up with frds for dinner, drink on fridays... dan family day on weekends!!

    I jus cant wait till the day im back in SPore..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margarette, if one has been taking good care of oneself, then being in the 30s for a woman is great, cos she'll be mature enough to know what she wants, & still young enough to know how to enjoy life.

    If, however, you've been neglecting yourself like I've been - haircut only when your family visits & not when you need it......desparate need for pedicure cos feet are cracking but no chance 4 it......only rem to put moisturiser on body when skin started to itch cos usually have to finish shower ASAP - then one will most probably leave the young supple age of the 20s with regret & longing, cos maintenance is becoming a necessity!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear hui2,

    Same lah. Just that overworked in different areas. Getting fatter due to lack of exercise. Never did pedicure before.

    It's a matter of perspective.

    Do you realise you are much more successful at this age than me? You have a hubby who cares for you, a lively kid whom though drive you nuts but you still love him from the numerous photos and videos you put up?

    Should I say I am single, ugly, fat, failure in my career though severly overworked and left on the shelf?

    Cheer up lah. Life's hard but you should enjoy your blessings.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete