Sunday 12 July 2009

Why So Much Junk Food?????

I don't understand why on earth Singaporean parents like to give their children junk food to bring to school. I never had such problems when Sam was in KL with all the expatraite parents of various nationalities.

My complaint? Sam had a 'picnic' in school the Friday past. We parents were told we can pack some snacks for the picnic, for the children to eat in addition to their usual teabreak food prepared by the school.

Well, I packed some Ritz biscuits, which were not totally consumed by the kids, cos they have more interesting goodies, including Oreos and jelly. I only know of these 2 items cos Sam had Oreo crumbs on his mouth when I came to fetch him, and his classmates were still popping the jelly directly from the containers.

Thanks to the apparently totally unhealthy picnic, Sam lost his appetite for dinner that night. At night he complained of a slight stomachache, and continued to have bloated stomach all of next day, ie. yesterday. By nighttime I realised he had a low fever, which fortunately subsided after 1 dose of medicine at night and doesn't not appear to be the onset of the HMFD that's spreading in his school.

Really, why must Singaporean parents give such unhealthy foods for snacks??? Admittedly, my Ritzs weren't terribly healthy either, but at least I try not to give Sam all-chocolate biscuits, and the jelly I buy for him are the Japanese konnyaku ones that claim to contain fibre & real fruit juice. I myself even cut down on my fav potato chips in an attempt not to let him eat so much of the titbits.

That's not the only example of unhealthy snacking. For my Friday's tour, the primary school specifically asked not to have the break in MacDonald's, and the students are to bring their own snacks.

Well, the teacher-in-charge boarded the bus with a large plastic bag full of Mamee, which he distributed out to the students even before we reach the destination! So during breaktime, the students ended up buying & eating Pocky and potato chips. What's the point of not going to MacDonald's then???????

Really, why can't the children of today snack on buns, cakes & sandwiches like I used to when I was their age??? I'm not even asking for healthier choices like apples & other fruits. Even if we mums are too busy to pack a cooked lunch for our children like what they do in other countries, there're always healthier snacks available.

I now recall a boy from another tour - also Primary 4 - where he chose to eat the peanut butter sandwich his mother packed for him, & exchanged part of his meal with a friend who was packed CoCo Crunch. And get this, they were having their break in MacDonald's, where his classmate ate 2 Fillet 'o' Fish in the 20 min break! Now I can only hope that I can manage to bring Sam up to like the healthy foods too when he's older!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment