Tuesday 19 May 2009

The Kind of Things U Get in a Birthday Goodie Bag

I know all the enthusiatics mothers who took the trouble to prepare gift packs for their children's classmates in school meant well. But why can't they just include more healthy snacks & less junk?????

Today Sam received yet another elaborately decorated birthday goodie bag from a fellow classmate in his playgroup. Except for the box of Coco Crunch, which is at least a healthy cereal despite of the chocolate intensiveness, there's also a marshmellow sweet, a TimeOut chocolate bar & some savoury biscuits. And a whistle.

Now, I'll rather have more of those party whistles & toys than figure out how to hide the TimeOut chocolate bar from my son, cos I don't usually allow him such titbits. I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of the packet of Twisties from another goodie bag 3 weeks ago. Think I'll just eat that myself & get hubby to devour the TimeOut. The marshmellow sweet I'm reserving to use as a rewarding treat when Sam behaves well.

Don't understand why Singaporean parents tend to give such titbits in the goodies bags. When we were in KL, the expat group of mothers tend to put more party toys in the bags. The snacks they used were healthier too. Sam once received a packet of orange juice even!

Can't wait for Sam to start in the new childcare. At least over there, the centre has guidelines & recommendations for parents to use healthy snacks eg. raisins in the goodie bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment