Friday 3 April 2009

Teaching Good Friday

Once in a while I'll get into those crazy highly enthusiastic mothering moods that die down as quickly as it came. 2 weeks ago I bought 2 different toys - a 10-piece jigsaw puzzle & a counting puzzle - for Sam in an attempt to improve Sam's concentration & reduce his TV time. Needless to say, I gave up after 2 days and I myself went back to doing my own stuff while he watches TV quietly.

Today was buying Polar curry puffs for hubby when the salesgirl started her sales talk for their cross buns: "very nice, only made for this festive season!". I ended up buying one @ $1.20, thinking no harm letting Sam (& myself) try something new.

By the time I reached home, I'm contemplating how to introduce the Good Friday & Easter holiday to Sam. After all, he's already participated in the Chinese New Year & Deepavali celebrations in the school when we were in KL. Since the current playgroup doesn't do such activities, I thought: why not do it myself?

There comes the problem: I'm no good in teaching kids. Least of all my own son. And I know nuts about Good Friday. And Easter.

Just now I actually went to Wiki up Good Friday, hot cross buns, and Easter. After all the reading, I can only conclude: since we ourselves are not Christians and don't celebrate these holidays usually, I'll just leave it as that.

The most I think I can manage is teaching Sam to eat hot cross buns on Good Friday and chocolate Easter eggs on Easter Sunday. Not exactly the right thing to do, I know, but then I'm not expecting much from my yet-to-be three year old either. I mean, I haven't even yet figure out how to explain a 'holiday' to him, you know what I mean????

1 comment:

  1. To kids, everyday is a holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete