Monday 16 March 2009

A Toilet Training Attempt

Today had the sudden brainwave of letting Sam trying wearing underwear instead of diapers. Thought he would understand the need to go toilet to pee better when he's not wearing diapers.

Well, what happened was, he enjoyed wearing his underwear - hand-me-downs from his cousin, Thomas & Friends print - but he didn't quite get the concept of having to inform me to go to toilet!

1st time he peed onto the floor, he was quite surprised, and a trifle scared. I guess he was afraid I would scold him. But then I didn't, explained the process to him again, then, let him try another underwear again.

1 hour later, during dinner, he started to position himself funnily in his Ikea chair, ramping himself all the way to the front. Yes, he's trying to stop himself peeing! So after cleaning up the mess I gave up and put diapers on him again.

Half hour before bedtime, he informed his grandfather he poo-poo. We rushed to the bedroom, plastic bag, wipes & diaper all in tow, only to find he's only peed in the diaper. Luckily I had the sense to ask him:"Sam wants to poo-poo huh?"

He said Yes! So a quick rush to put his training seat on the toilet bowl, plonked him on, promised him plenty of toilet paper to throw into the bowl should he succeed, and 2 min later, he did poo-poo into the toilet bowl!!!!

Ooooooh! was soooo glad he did, cos it was such a smelly affair!!! ;) Hope Sam would learn to do his 'big' business in the toilet bowl regularly, then I wouldn't have to clean him up!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is great for a first day. In the beginning I set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes and every 15 minutes we would go into the bathroom and try! It works. Less messes to clean up at least!

    Becca

    Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Becca! But me not so hardworking, think I'll just try with hourly toilet visits ;)

    ReplyDelete