Wednesday 1 October 2008

Hospital Stay is Finally Over!

Last few days had been hell...............

Sam's mucus turned green last Tues evening, but doc not open on Wed, so only brought him in on Thurs.

At that time, he only had low fever, ~ 37.5 degC, so he went home with a big bag of medicine (again).

That very evening, his fever went up to 38 degC. By Fri noon, it was 39 degC. So I started the antibiotics that very evening.

But his fever never went down past 38.5 degC. By Sat afternoon, it hit 40 degC. So I dragged hubby & Sam off to the A&E at Gleneagles Intan, hoping for something to bring down the fever.

Turns out the X-ray shows Sam's developing early pneumonia! Lucky we found out early! Was I glad I was being paranoid & didn't wait another day for the antibiotics to work!

So Sam was admitted to hospital that Sat night. I had to stay with him overnight too.

The following 3 nights are terrible! Though it was good that I didn't have to worry about the meals & medicine dosage when in the hospital, it was near impossible to have a good sleep there.

The 1st night, the nurses had to monitor Sam's temperature every 2 hrs. Which means we got woken up every 2 hrs.

2nd night the nurse couldn't get a good reading, & actually switched on the lights in the room to take the temperature!

3rd night, Sam wasn't given the night dose till 10:30pm. The nurse had the audacity to say she didn't dare to come in in case we were asleep already!!!!

So poor Sam didn't sleep till 11pm, & next morning, at 7:30am, another nurse actually wanted to give Sam his shot of antibiotics while he was still asleep?????? I had to ask here to come back later so that Sam can have enough rest!

Oh, did I mention I was awaken in the middle of the 3rd night to enquire what Sam had eaten for dinner that night??????

So now that Sam's fever has gone down, he's allowed home with another cart of medicine for the next one week: 3 different types to be taken thrice daily, 2 types taken once daily, his antibiotics (once daily), & some probiotics (once daily).

So now, on top of worrying what food to prepare for Sam, I have to continue the barrage of medicine for another week, with a very high unhappy possibility that Sam wouldn't recover in time for the start of school on Monday.

About the consolation I have right now is that I can watch my fav drama shows at home, since I only had ~1.5 hrs free time for the past few days to travel home - snack for max 10 min - shower - travel back to hospital, while Sam cried the whole time (for the 1st 2 days) & hubby kept calling me to tell me to hurry back.

Oh, & luckily hubby is had taken leave initially for our trip back to Singapore. So now instead he's taking his 'holiday' here in KL feeding medicine to his precious son...................

4 comments:

  1. Hope Sam gets well soon! U take care too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Minjing. me now gaining bk my sanity......should be able to check my emails soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiyo Sis, mi still dun kn tht Sam is so Sick!!

    Heart pain to hear tht lor!! Mi still tot that u got no time to update ur blog is becoz ur in law are there with u...

    Ya, when the child gets sick, the most suffering de is the parents, especially the mummy lor!

    Take gd care ya and hope tht the hard times will be over soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam fell sick 2 days before my in laws went back. Must be cos he wanted to play & didn't want to eat or sleep!

    ReplyDelete